So the boys' room has had a strong oder of urine for the past week or so. Last Monday I was disgusted by this and decided that Ryan must have had an accident and not told me about it so I stripped both Ethan and Ryan's bedding, washed the mattresses, bedding and even all stuffed animals. I finished the room off with a spray of deoderizing air spray thinking that that should fix the smell. Nope. It still stunk. I was stumped as to where the smell was coming from. This morning as Ethan was getting ready for school he told Spencer (because he was inquiring as to why their room smelled), "Dad, I peed in the vent." Um...Huh? My SIX year old did not just say he peed in the vent of the room which means every time the air conditioner has gone off it has sent a lovely smell of pee throughout their room. This cannot be. He must be mistaken. We do not pee in vents in my house. Didn't he get the memo?????? Breath, Camille, Breath. So after calming myself from a nearly passing out with frustration/bewilderment etc. I brought Ethan into my room to talk about this little "situation". Conversation went as follows:
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Um...What did you say?
M: Ethan why did you pee in the vent?
E: Mom there are monsters in the bathroom and I couldn't wait any longer so I peed in the vent.
M: Ethan, there are not monsters in the bathroom.
E: Yes there are mom, they're the same monsters that are in the basement.
M: Ethan, no matter how afraid you are you need to go potty in the toilet and never anywhere else.
E: Ok mom.
M: Please promise me you will never go to the bathroom anywhere but the toilet. Six year olds are old enough to understand that.
E: Ok mom I promise.
It is said that knowing is half the battle. In this case it is very true because now that we know where the smell is coming from we now need to figure out how to clean the stinky vent. So if anybody out there has ever had this happen (if you have you will instantly become my best friend and I will no longer feel like my children are...how would you put it... unique) or if you just have an idea I'd love to hear it. The only thing I can think of is having an air duct/vent cleaning, but I'm pretty sure they just vacuum it out and I need a disinfectant of some sort. And all this before 9 in the morning!
Posted by Camille Powell at 7:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Camille, I am trying not to laugh. You brought back a memory of mine from my childhood. We had a heater in the floor and everytime it went on it smelled of urine. My parents assumed that the dog had peed in the heater. That poor dog. He was punished. Come to find out one of my younger brothers would get up in the night to use the bathroom (not being fully awake) and peed in the heater numerous times. My parents felt bad for the dog and then upset that my brother was doing this but what do you do? My brother also almost peed in the fridge.
I have no idea what to clean it with. I will have to ask my mom what they did. Good luck.
I, too, have a brother who got up at night and while sleep walking has peed in the corner of the bedroom. Luckily no vents were present.
I love your stories! I'm sorry they are not just stories at your house. But hey - you could publish a guide for moms with boys! I'd totally buy it.
Ok, Camille, this is so funny. This is Zach's cousin, Amber. I just stumbled upon your post. My son did the same thing at about the same age! Our house was already sold, so we were so worried about keeping it in good condition. We hired a duct cleaning company, and they fixed it. I don't know if they did anything special or miraculous, but I figured it was their area of expertise and felt better about the whole thing. Doesn't it make you feel like your child is terribly antisocial?? Good luck!
Hey Camille! It's Patti from the old ward! What a funny post. I think you are a saint! I would have flipped a lid.
How are you guys? Your kids are so big, I can't believe it!
Oh Camille, I found this cleaner http://protectivebedding.com/Stain_Removers/item_urine_erase_16oz.htm#ProductDetails
but I haven't tried it yet. It's supposed to work on hard surfaces as well as carpet/upholstery/bedding, etc. I haven't tried it, yet, but am considering purchasing it or something like it (it's kind or pricey! It also says it has a cleaning solution that goes with it, but I haven't checked out all the info on that (it's hydrogen peroxide based. do you think that would bleach fabric?)
Anyway, I did laugh when reading this, but believe me, I can relate! Rhys has been struggling with making it to the loo in time. He has had numerous accidents and has gotten also, quite a bit lazy about going. I have now had to scrub my basement floor twice, and the carpet in his room three times!!! Now I know that the last time, the carpet in his room was on purpose (Bryn ran and told me, see, that' what tattle-telling IS good for!) Thankfully, none hit the vent but was just inches away!
Camille I love you and your family, and I think you are the most amazing mom.
I bet the air duct cleaners will be able to take care of it.
Smile and know that I'm praying for you.
Post a Comment